Extra than a century old, the funds city of Kenya is the only major metropolis neighboring a countrywide park (Nairobi National Park). Its cosmopolitan nature contributes to the illimitable power and the many aspects of range, from manner and meals to language and beliefs.
Commonly known as the city in the sun, Nairobi Kenya is probably the most fascinating town to visit, dwell and perform in Kenya supplied the good contrasts that exist. You will just as simply meet a girl with a basket on her head, a child on her back again, expecting and on her way to the sector as you will spot one more woman adorning sun shades and higher heeled footwear, talking on a Samsung galaxy SIII cell phone though driving a Variety Rover. The exact contrasts apply in all other aspects of social, cultural and financial configurations.
Initially a salty and uninhibited swampland, Nairobi has come of age as a modern day metropolis.
- The pastoralist Kenyan Maasai group knew the swampland as Enkare Nyrobi, meaning an place of chilly drinking water, and it is from this phrase that the name Nairobi was born.
- During the Kenya railway construction beneath the British colonial rule, a camp known as Mile 327 was established up as a provide depot. The British utilized this camp as a provincial money until finally 1905, when Nairobi was created the capital of British East Africa Protectorate.
- In 1963, Nairobi turned the capital metropolis of independent Kenya.
Nairobi is the headquarters of Nairobi county and Nairobi district.
- Until finally the promulgation of Kenya’s new structure in 2010, the govt was centralized in Nairobi, with all government ministries, arms of the government, big business headquarters and key institutions these types of as Referral hospitals, universities and countrywide and worldwide faculties staying positioned listed here.
- All intercontinental bodies these as UNHCR, UNEP, UN Habitat etcetera., in addition foreign missions and embassies are positioned in Nairobi.
- The town has witnessed the worst political unrest from the 1981 coup de tour and Saba Saba political motion to a lot of conflicts involving President Moi Regime and social and political activists.
- Nairobi contributes more than 60% of Kenya’s Gross Domestic Merchandise- creating it a extremely crucial area in deciding the country’s economic development.
- Presently, Nairobi Inventory Trade is the oldest and most significant in Africa and graded 4th in regards to buying and selling volumes (signifying the potential the city has investment-clever).
Demographics in Nairobi
With an region of 684km2, Nairobi has a population that is almost similarly divided among the have and the have-nots, harboring as many wealthy folks as urban inadequate. Collectively, however, prosperous or inadequate, the people today of Nairobi are all Nairobians.
- The most populous East African city, Nairobi has additional than 3.375 people
- In Africa, it is the 12th greatest town.
- Staying a cosmopolitan and multicultural city, it has men and women from all the 47 tribes of Kenya, additionally men and women from all African nations and reps from all over the world.
- The main languages are Swahili and English
- There is a escalating, urban-language phenomenon in Nairobi popularly recognised as Sheng, which is produced by marrying or bending Swahili phrases with other dialects.
- You will locate Catholics, Protestants, indigenous believers, Buddhists and even atheists below.
Real-estate demographics in Nairobi
Nairobi has the worst and best in house demographics.
- Though there is a rising middle-class serious-estate sector making large assets yields, there is at the same time an enhance in unsuitable dwelling models these as shanties and squatter settlements among the city poor.
- There is a large housing deficit owing to higher rural to urban migration (although the deficit makes Nairobi an suitable place for expenditure)
- With advancement in infrastructure, the price of properties and rental yields in various parts in Nairobi have doubled and even tripled in modern a long time
- Nairobi has registered 20% advancement in its significant-conclusion household genuine-estate marketplace, ranking the very best globally.
Located at 10 17o S 360 46 o E and at 1,795 meters earlier mentioned sea degree, Nairobi stands amid Mombasa and Kampala towns. To its west are the Ngong Hills and to the north and southeast towers Mt. Kenya and Mt. Kilimanjaro respectively.
- Nairobi has a subtropical highland local weather with an altitude that contributes to interesting evenings and moderate temperatures.
- December and March are the warmest and sunniest with typical of 240 C.
- Nairobi has two wet good reasons with reasonable rainfall in April and July.
- The town receives bare minimum of 7 hours of sunshine each day throughout the calendar year.
Supply : Overview of Nairobi City, Kenya by James E Harrison